Release Date:July 31,2012
Continuing its tradition of drawing attention to the nation's most pressing health issues in such presentations as Addiction and The Alzheimer's Project, HBO Documentary Films® addresses the obesity epidemic in America in The Weight of the Nation. This immensely important series spotlights the facts and myths of obesity, showing how this urgent public health issue affects the nation and cripples the health care system. The Weight of the Nation on DVD, which includes 11 bonus shorts and an informational booklet, will arrive in stores on July 31, 2012!
Three years in the making, The Weight of the Nation brings together the country's leading research institutions in a national initiative to help shed light on solutions to restore our individual and collective health. The centerpiece of The Weight of the Nation is the 4-part documentary series that features case studies and interviews with experts as well as individuals and families struggling with obesity. Each part focuses on a particular issue: "Consequences," examines the scope of the obesity epidemic and the serious health consequences of being overweight or obese; "Choices," reveals the science behind obesity and weight loss; "Children in Crisis," documents the impact the epidemic is having on the nation's children; and "Challenges," examines the major forces behind the obesity epidemic.
The Weight of the Nation on DVD features eleven bonus shorts that focus on diseases and conditions directly linked to obesity as well as the actions that individuals, communities and scientists have taken to combat it. The bonus shorts include:
• "Healthy Mom, Healthy Baby: The Risks of Excess Weight"
• "Obesity and Type 2 Diabetes"
• "Latino Health Access: A Model of Community Action"
• "Nashville Takes Action: A City Battles Obesity"
• "Can a Lifetime of Excess Weight Lead to Heart Disease?"
• "Poverty and Obesity: When Healthy Food Isn't an Option"
• "Stigma: The Human Cost of Obesity"
• "Overweight in the Workplace: How Wellness Programs Can Help the American Workforce"
• "The Quest to Understand the Biology of Weight Loss"
• "Is Weight Something We Inherit?"
• "Healthy Foods and Obesity Prevention: Increasing Markets for Fruit and Vegetable Farmers"
Also included is a 20-page booklet that provides an overview of each documentary and bonus short and also features facts about obesity as well as observations from experts in the field.