Release Date:September 8,2009
Meet Precious Ramotswe (played by multiple Grammy® Award winner Jill Scott), the spirited and eminently sensible proprietor of The No. 1 Ladies’ Detective Agency in Botswana. The first major film/TV project to be shot entirely in that country, the HBO® series is based on the best-selling novels by Alexander McCall Smith.
Described as “feel-good television” by Entertainment Weekly and “heartwarming” by Newsweek, The No. 1 Ladies’ Detective Agency is an engaging series that features one of the most beloved characters in contemporary fiction. Passionate, wise and plucky, Precious opens her country’s first and only female-owned detective agency, embarking on an improbable career that utilizes her unique gift of intuition to benefit those who need help the most. Aided by her efficient, but quirky secretary Grace Makutsi (Anika Noni Rose, Dreamgirls, Tony® Award for Caroline, or Change), Precious begins to investigate a variety of cases – from missing children to philandering husbands to con-artists – helping townspeople solves mysteries in their lives.
The No. 1 Ladies’ Detective Agency also stars Lucian Msamati as JLP Matekoni, a local garage owner and widowed suitor of Mma Ramotswe’s, and Desmond Dube (Hotel Rwanda) as BK, a flamboyant hairdresser and friend. Guest stars include David Oyelowo (The Last King of Scotland), Idris Elba (The Wire, HBO), Colin Salmon (Die Another Day), Tony® winner John Kani (Final Solution) and CCH Pounder (The Shield).
The No. 1 Ladies’ Detective Agency is executive produced by Richard Curtis, Bob and Harvey Weinstein, Amy J. Moore and Timothy Bricknell. The late Sydney Pollack (Oscar® for Out of Africa) and the late Anthony Minghella (Oscar® for The English Patient) served as executive producers of the pilot, which was also directed by Minghella.
The No. 1 Ladies’ Detective Agency includes the following bonus materials:
· “Botswana: The Gem of Africa” - Apart from being the largest producer of diamonds in the world, and thus tagged the “Gem of Africa,” Botswana is also famous for its diverse areas of wildlife habitat. HBO explores the wonderful world of Botswana and how it came to be the setting for The No. 1 Ladies' Detective Agency.
· “Anthony Minghella’s No. 1 Film” - Behind-the-scenes look at the making of the pilot through the eyes of executive producer Anthony Minghella, cast and crew.
· “The Beat of Botswana” – This companion piece highlights the rich musical heritage of local artists from Botswana.
· “The Making of The No. 1 Ladies’ Detective Agency” - Botswana is a country blessed with many resources, but, until last year, these did not include a film industry. Behind-the-scenes look at the making of the film in Bostwana.
· “The No. 1 Ladies’ Detective Agency: Author’s Diary” – Insight on Alexander McCall Smith’s Author's Diary.