Release Date:July 31,2012
A masterpiece from a masterful director - La Grande Illusion is an important part of international cinema history, and we are happy to report that is blu-ray does it great justice!
From the StudioCanal Collection, Lionsgate proudly presents La Grande Illusion making its Blu-ray Disc debut this July with superior picture quality plus unique special features. A masterpiece of French cinema, La Grande Illusion was directed by Academy Award® nominee Jean Renoir (Best Director, The Southerner, 1945) and was the first foreign language film ever nominated for the Best Picture Oscar® (1938). Named one of "The 100 Best Films in World Cinema" in 2010, the film stars Jean Gabin (Le Jour se Leve), Dita Parlo (L'Atalante), Pierre Fresnay (The Man Who Knew Too Much), Erich Von Stroheim (Sunset Boulevard), Marcel Dalio (Gentlemen Prefer Blondes) and Julien Carette (The Rules of the Game). Remastered in 1080P High Definition, La Grande Illusion Blu-ray Disc includes comprehensive special features. The film will also be available for the first time in HD on Digital Download and On Demand.
During the thick of World War I, a German POW camp holds a group of French prisoners, including the aristocratic Boieldieu (Fresnay), Maréchal the foreman (Gabin) and the Jewish banker Rosenthal (Dalio). The trio prepares to make their escape, but is soon moved to a seemingly impenetrable fortress.
• "La Grande Illusion: Success and Controversy" by Olivier Curchod, cinema expert and Jean Renoir specialist - ALL NEW
• "The original negative of La Grande Illusion" by Natacha Laurent from la Cinémathèque de Toulouse - ALL NEW
• Restoring La Grande Illusion
• La Grande Illusion by Ginette Vincendeau, cinema professor and film critic
• John Truby film presentation
• Trailers from 1937 and 1958 - Presentation of the movie by Jean Renoir