Release Date:December 8,2009
Wizards and muggles beware! No one is safe as Harry Potter returns for his sixth year at Hogwarts in Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince, which arrives on Blu-ray Combo Pack and DVD this December 8th from Warner Home Video. The entire ensemble cast is back for the sixth installment of the record-breaking franchise based on the best-selling book series by J.K. Rowling.
Emboldened by the return of Lord Voldemort, the Death Eaters are wreaking havoc in both the Muggle and wizarding worlds and Hogwarts is no longer the safe haven it once was. Harry suspects that new dangers may lie within the castle, but Dumbledore is more intent upon preparing him for the final battle that he knows is fast approaching. He needs Harry to help him uncover a vital key to unlocking Voldemort's defenses--critical information known only to Hogwarts' former Potions Professor, Horace Slughorn. With that in mind, Dumbledore manipulates his old colleague into returning to his previous post with promises of more money, a bigger office...and the chance to teach the famous Harry Potter.
Meanwhile, the students are under attack from a very different adversary as teenage hormones rage across the ramparts. Harry's long friendship with Ginny Weasley is growing into something deeper, but standing in the way is Ginny's boyfriend, Dean Thomas, not to mention her big brother Ron. But Ron's got romantic entanglements of his own to worry about, with Lavender Brown lavishing her affections on him, leaving Hermione simmering with jealousy yet determined not to show her feelings. And then a box of love potion-laced chocolates ends up in the wrong hands and changes everything.
As romance blossoms, one student remains aloof with far more important matters on his mind. He is determined to make his mark, albeit a dark one. Love is in the air, but tragedy lies ahead and Hogwarts may never be the same again.
From celebrated director David Yates (BBC’s State of Play, Harry Potter series Years 5-7), Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince brings back the highly-acclaimed cast including Daniel Radcliffe (BBC’s My Boy Jack, December Boys), Rupert Grint (Driving Lessons) and Emma Watson (The Tale of Despereaux) as well as two-time Academy Award® Winner Maggie Smith (Gosford Park, A Room With A View), Academy Award® Nominee Helena Bonham Carter (Sweeney Todd, Tim Burton’s Corpse Bride), Alan Rickman (Love Actually, Die Hard) and Michael Gambon (The Good Shepherd, Gosford Park). Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince also introduces Academy Award® winner Jim Broadbent (Iris, Moulin Rouge!) as Professor Horace Slughorn.
The Blu-ray disc of Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince will feature Warner Bros. Maximum Movie Mode, an interactive viewing experience that examines the entire film with such features as Focus Points, Picture-in-Picture, photo galleries and more. Maximum Movie Mode includes commentary from director David Yates, producers David Heyman and David Barron, and stars Daniel Radcliffe, Rupert Grint, Emma Watson and Tom Felton.
The disc also includes Warner Bros. BD-LiveTM, which allows users with web-enabled Blu-ray players to access exciting additional content and connect and share with other BD-Live users via the My Commentary and Live Community Screening features. Another feature of the BD-Live interactivity is Facebook Connect, which allows users to interact with their friends from Facebook, update their Facebook status while in BD-Live and invite their Facebook friends to a Live Community Screening.
Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince will also be available to buy on December 8th as a Digital Download from digital movie retailers and select game consoles.
On December 15th Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince will be available to rent ON DEMAND through Digital Cable, Satellite TV, internet movie retailers and select game consoles.
Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince contains the following special features:
2-Disc Special Edition DVD:
- Close-Up with the Cast and Crew of Harry Potter: Hosts Matthew Lewis (“Neville Longbottom”) and Alfred Enoch (“Dean Thomas”) lead us on an entertaining look at the cast of Harry Potter as they explore their interests away from acting and spend a day on set with the production team (28:30)
- J.K. Rowling: A Year in the Life: A fascinating and intimate look into the life of J.K. Rowling over the last year of writing “Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows.” (49:32)
- One Minute Drills: The cast has 60 seconds to describe their character’s personality, history, relationships and other traits before time runs out (6:43)
- What's On Your Mind: Hosted by Tom Felton, the cast is put on the spot when asked a series of rapid-fire questions on their likes and dislikes. (6:41)
- Universal's The Wizarding World of Harry Potter Sneak Peek: Get an “inside look” at the amazing world of magic and excitement being created at Universal Orlando® Resort in Florida (11:38)
- Additional Scenes (6:31)
- Digital Copy of the theatrical film
Blu-ray Combo Pack includes all of the content in the 2-Disc Special Edition plus:
- WB Maximum Movie Mode with Director David Yates, Producers David Heyman and David Barron, and cast members Daniel Radcliffe, Rupert Grint, Emma Watson and Tom Felton (1:38:00)
- BD-Live Media Center including My Commentary, Live Community Screening and other interactive features. Also included is an exclusive introduction to the upcoming Harry Potter Ultimate Editions by Daniel Radcliffe.
- SD version of the theatrical film
- Digital Copy of the theatrical film