Release Date:November 13,2012
Depending how you look at it Friends is either a seminal sitcom that set the standard for a new generation of multi-camera, younger, hipper, sitcoms or a contrived set of circumstances and ever preposterous relationships between a group of whiny people that somehow managed to stay on the air for 10 seasons, be a massive hit, and make a movie star out of Jennifer Aniston. Either way, with the blu-ray release of the complete series, you can now decide for yourself.
Blu-ray is an interesting format for the release of a sitcom from the '90s. Show's were not shot with hi-def TV's in mind (having one in your living room was a pipe dream at that point in time). And although the show was filmed on 35mm film stock, it was shot to fit on your tube TV. As a result, the picture quality seems to vary wildly from season to season. Some are bright and vibrant, others feel blurred and saturated. However, while purest will say this is unacceptable, I think this is the best the series has ever looked and is now the only way to watch it.
The set is also loaded with 20 hours of special features - including 3 hours of all new material created for the box set! Of special interest will be the producer's cut of "The One Where Rachel Tells Ross" which has been edited back to its original form (including an explanation from Kevin Bright about why the episode was changed before it aired). Also, a series of new documentaries are included that are definitely worth the time to watch.
Hopefully The Friends Box Set will be successful and more classic shows will be released on blu-ray (hello, Cheers!).
Just in time for holiday gift giving, Warner Home Video will release for the first time ever Friends: The Complete Series Blu-ray on November 13, 2012. This ultimate collector’s set for the ultimate fan features over 110 hours of content – including all 236 original broadcast episodes released for the first time in the US, plus 20 hours of special features including over three hours of newly-added special features. New content includes a retrospective documentary with new interviews looking back at the influential 10 years of the series, never-before-released cast appearances, unaired footage, a new gag reel and more! All 10 seasons have been completely remastered in stunning 1080p high definition video with a 16x9 widescreen format and 5.1 audio. The Friends: Complete Series Blu-ray box set is presented in highly collectible new packaging consisting of a lenticular box cover, a hard-cover book that holds 21 Blu-ray discs, plus a 32-page episode guide.
Friends is an American sitcom about six friends struggling to survive on their own in Manhattan. In each episode, they find the companionship, comfort and support from each other to be the perfect solutions to the pressures of everyday life. The series stars 'The Ones That Were There For You' for ten seasons strong: Jennifer Aniston as “Rachel Green,” Courteney Cox as “Monica Geller,” Lisa Kudrow as “Phoebe Buffay,” Matt LeBlanc as “Joey Tribbiani,” Matthew Perry as “Chandler Bing,” and David Schwimmer as “Dr. Ross Geller.” Friends has also featured many notable guest stars including Tom Selleck, Aisha Tyler, Jon Favreau, Anna Faris, Hank Azaria, Bruce Willis, Reese Witherspoon, Christina Applegate, Sean Penn, Jon Lovitz, Alec Baldwin, and many more. Friends was created by David Crane and Marta Kauffman and aired on NBC from September 22, 1994 to May 6, 2004. The series was produced by Bright/Kauffman/Crane Productions, in association with Warner Bros. Television.
FRIENDS: THE COMPLETE SERIES BLU-RAY
OVER 3 HOURS OF ALL-NEW SPECIAL FEATURES
· True Friends: Documentaries: Retrospective documentaries with new interviews looking at the influential 10 years of the show and how it changed the cultural landscape of the 90’s and first half of the new millennium
o Friends From the Start: Learn how the show was created and the challenges of finding the perfect cast and capturing “lightening in a bottle”
o When Friends Become Family: Enter the Writers Room and hear about the inspiration and development of some of the most iconic episodes and favorite moments from various seasons
o Legacy of Friends: Learn why the show had to come to an end, its influence on pop culture, and the legacy that it left behind
· The Original Producer’s Cut for 'The One Where Rachel Tells Ross': ‘The One Where Rachel Tells Ross’ is re-assembled back to its original form. An introduction by Kevin Bright will set up the episode and explain why it was ultimately edited before air.
· The Original Script for ‘The One Where Rachel Tells Ross’
· Friends On The Tonight Show with Jay Leno (2005)
· Friends Visit The Ellen DeGeneres Show (2004)
· The Ones With More Friends: The original extended broadcast episodes
· The One with the Never-Before-Seen Gags: Originally for the cast and crew, this never-before-seen gag reel has all the laughs that were too funny to include on the DVD
· The Rembrandts - "I'll Be There For You": Official music video featuring the cast of Friends
OVER 17 HOURS OF SPECIAL FEATURES FROM THE ORIGINAL FRIENDS DVD RELEASES
· Friends Around the World: Explores the Friends phenomenon around the globe
· On Location in London: Cross the Atlantic for a whirlwind English visit with Friends
· The One That Goes Behind the Scenes: The full hour-long Discovery Channel Documentary
· Behind the Style: The Look of Friends: Costume Designer Debra McGuire, Hair Stylist Jonathan Hanousek, and Makeup Artist Robin Siegel offer an inside look at Friends fashion, hair and makeup over the years
· The Flaming Lips Phoebe Battles the Pink Robots music video featuring Lisa Kudrow and directed by Kevin S. Bright
· Friends Final Thoughts: The cast and producers reflect during their final days at work and after series production ends
· Never-before-seen uncut version of Smelly Cat
· Matt LeBlanc Joey Joey music video
· Commentaries From 31 Episodes
· Friends of Friends video guestbook
· Gag reels from multiple seasons
· And More!